Published on July 26th, 2016 | by kickstartfc
KickStart Tour a Big Success!
After months of planning and fundraising, the KickStart players touched down at Kennedy International Airport on 06th July 2016 for their summer tour to Long Island. Amidst all of the excitement and awe (some of the group were traveling for the first time), the players settled down to experience different types of competition, conditions and coaching.
Director of Coaching at Hofstra University, Richard Nuttall, took the players through a series of drills. The KickStart boys then visited the Cedar Stars Soccer Academy at St. Benedicts, Newark, where they received additional coaching. They were put through different drills and interacted with other camp attendees in scrimmages. The areas that the players needed to work on were highlighted, such as movement off the ball, speed to the ball, communication, physical strength, heading, scanning and awareness.
When you tour, there is not only anticipation, excitement, learning and opportunity. There is also bonding that takes place, in this case between player and player; player and parent; player and coach and parent and parent. All win-wins!
And speaking about wins, our lads were victorious in the following matches:
14 and Unders
- 2 – 1 Long Island Junior Soccer League Player Development Programme. Scorers – Sachin Cox, Ethan Bryan
- 5–3 Eastern Meadows Juventus Soccer Club. Scorers – Sachin Cox, Drew Brooks, Ethan Bryan (2), Mario Lavoie
- 3 – 1 Massapequa Soccer Club. Scorers – Ethan Bryan, Drew Brooks, Kyle Lewis
- 0 – 0 Northport Cow Harbor Soccer Club
16 and Unders
- 1 – 0 Long Island Junior Soccer League Player Development Programme. Scorer – Christian Smith
- 1 – 4 Thomas Rotherham College U-18 (UK). Scorer – Jadyn Rochester
- 1 – 7 Massapequa Soccer Club. Scorer – Christian Smith
- 0 – 5 Northport Cow Harbor Soccer Club
The tour was not all work and no play however, as the players had a day at Splish Splash Water Park after their first game, and a chance to see the New York Cosmos play. The invaluable contacts made with other clubs and parents while on tour will serve Kickstart in good stead going forward, as the club seeks to provide players with playing and educational opportunities in the US and elsewhere.
Kickstart Football Club wishes to thank the parents, players, supporters and sponsors who together made this wonderful opportunity a reality for 28 young men, and look forward to your continued support in the future.